A permanent record

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Busy, busy, busy...

Apologies for not having blogged for a while! Despite all my intentions I've been busy and not able to get on the net for a bit - as you may have seen in the news, students in France are striking over a policy to do with young people's work contracts that the government wants to implement, and as such they have occupied the buildings on campus at Nanterre, and the university President has now closed the campus to users until further notice! Hence I haven't been able to use the computer room there, and whenever I've been at work I've been too busy!

So, what have I been up to? Lots of teaching, en gros. Last week I worked Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri (full days Tues and Fri at Antony) and covered various topics, although on the Friday most of what I did was reading children's story books into a microphone...! (The second-years are doing a project involving planning lessons for Primary school kids on the theme of a children's book, and they wanted recordings in an English voice.) During the week I also went to a party for women's day in our kitchen in halls - only girls attending, lots of Erasmus students, large amounts of pasta and LOTS of tiramisu! (Guess which nationality the girls organising it were...!) On thursday I went and had tea at Lessy's apartment as the striking students had given her a forced day off, so we watched French tv, played on the internet and had risotto.

On Friday I went straight from work to Gare Montparnasse and sat and had coffee with Miguel (see previous entry!) before getting my train to Poitiers to stay with Malc and Elaine for the weekend. It was very nice to be spoilt for nearly 3 days! I ate well, slept well, watched some English tv (yay!), went to see Cognac which is very pretty, went out for dinner and went to visit Jill and Steve and Sophie for coffee (hence of course much playing with the cats and dogs!) :)

This week I haven't been so busy - only 2 days of work, and yesterday I slept in late then went shopping; I also got my eurostar tickets for Antony and I to come back to London on the 31st! Hurrah - only 120 euros for the two of us, which I thought was very reasonable, although the train is at 9.13pm... We'll dump the bags at Gare du Nord and go and have dinner before we get the train, I reckon. Saw Julia for the first time in ages on Monday - she's been back in Germany on a training thing for her work, I believe - which was nice, and on Tuesday the weather was so gorgeous that Miguel and I went into Paris and sat in Starbucks for nearly 2 hours watching the world go by in the sunshine :) We had a wander around the Marais, too, which has such a nice atmosphere.

Today I have been at the IUFM doing some work - printing articles for a pack for the students so that (hopefully) they'll practice for their exam after I've finished. Am going to go soon - I've been invited to Neil's for dinner tonight, then tomorrow Antony's coming for the weekend so I'm going to collect him at the airport at 9am. We're going to do all the classic touristy things, so I'll take lots of pictures!

A bientot (j'éspère...!)
L xx

2 Comments:

  • Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:58 PM  

  • I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home